This is my Friday break from writing, editing, synopsising, platforming, …ing and focus on my other love…bass guitars.
For some players, this is the holy grail of bass goodness. Especially for progressive rock bassists. I used to own one. WHYYYyyyy!
The 4001 is brutally awesome in songs like “Sober” by Tool, “Closer to the Heart” by Rush, “Close to the Edge” by Yes, “Orion” by Metallica. Any Beatles song when Paul wasn’t playing his Hofner violin bass.
The Ricky is an all maple masterpiece, heavy masterpiece. Match this bass with a 70’s Ampeg SVT and an 8×10 cabinet and you will be able to cause destruction to china cabinets and hearing loss to small woodland creatures.
This is not meant to be an all inclusive history of the Rick post. That…That would take a book. And an author. And…no, not going to write it.
Take some time today and spin a song that has one of your favorite Rick players. Your world will be a better place.
Here’s a shortened list of cool Rick players.
- Lemmy of Motörhead
- Cliff Burton of Metallica
- Les Claypool of Primus
- Paul D’Amour of Tool
- Roger Glover of Deep Purple
- Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple
- Rick James
- Brent Liles of Social Distortion and Agent Orange
- Geddy Lee of Rush
- Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols
- Paul McCartney of The Beatles & Wings
- Dave Meros of Spock’s Beard
- Gary “Mani” Mounfield of Primal Scream & ex-The Stone Roses
- Michael Rutherford of Genesis
- Chris Squire of Yes
- Kira Roessler of Black Flag and Dos
- Troy Sanders of Mastodon
- Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear
This was Fingerstyle Friday:Rickenbacker 4001
Hope you enjoyed the bass of the week.