I have decided, for now :), to self-publish this book when it is time. I really thought that I needed an agent and the traditional path. Certainly the success of other self-published authors has caused me to examine the map more carefully.
I have turned off the main road to take the route toward self-publishing.
Some of the stops I think are along the way:
- First Stop: I need a quality Product
- I need readers and feedback (have some)
- I need an editor (pretty sure I have one)
- I need help with artwork (my wife has a good eye)
- I need layout (I can probably do this part)
- Second Stop: I need a marketing plan
- Who are my target readers
- Why would they want to spend ~8 hours of the life in this book
- etc (I have a couple good templates)
- Third Stop: Distribution/Placement
- Kindle all the way?
- What are my necessary channels?
- Fourth Stop: Promotion
- What unique ways (cheap ways) can I promote the book?
- Fifth Stop: Price
This is a work in progress. I’m trying to follow the 4 p’s of marketing.
As usual for Wednesday, here is a good post on the Pros & Cons of self-publishing